Chat Once Upon a Time!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chat Once Upon a Time!

Welcome to Chat Once Upon a Time!, a chat site dedicated to the ABC hit show Once Upon a Time. This site aims to provide fellow Oncer fans a place to openly discuss & share anything & everything OUAT!

TIP: The chatbox is ONLY viewable to members. Try registering as a member if you would like to join our live chats every Sunday starting at 8:00 pm EST!!! magicprice

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

ChatOUaT Tweets

Quickies!

Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White Suggestionbox01 Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White Howtos

Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White VisitSB

Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White EclecticsSpoilers Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White EsSpoilChat

Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White Sitemap02

Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White Abcsite001

Get Ready to RUMPLE!!!

Poll

who do you think Lilly's Father is?
Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White I_vote_lcap31%Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White I_vote_rcap 31% [ 4 ]
Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White I_vote_lcap8%Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White I_vote_rcap 8% [ 1 ]
Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White I_vote_lcap15%Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White I_vote_rcap 15% [ 2 ]
Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White I_vote_lcap8%Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White I_vote_rcap 8% [ 1 ]
Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White I_vote_lcap0%Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White I_vote_lcap31%Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White I_vote_rcap 31% [ 4 ]

Total Votes : 13

OUaT Tweet Time

Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White

Ranna156
    Ranna156

Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White Empty Fairytale/Grimm Connection - Snow White

Post by Ranna156

These passages are from the book 'The Brothers Grimm From Enchanted Forests to the Modern World' by Jack Zipes.

"Snow White" - Olenberg Manuscript

When Snow White awoke the next morning, they asked her how she happened to get there. And she told them everything, how her mother, the queen, had left her alone in the woods and gone away. The dwarfs took pity on her and persuaded her to remain with them and do the cooking for them when they went to the mines. However, she was to beware of the queen and not let anyone into the house.

"Snow White" - 1812 Edition

When Snow White awoke, they asked her who she was and how she happened to get into the house. Then she told them how her mother had wanted to have her put to death, but the hunter had spared her life, and how she had run the entire day and finally arrived at their house. So the dwarfs took pity on her and said, "if you keep house for us and cook, sew, make the beds, wash and knit, and keep everything tidy and clean, you may stay with us, and you will have everything you want. In the evening, when we come home, dinner must be ready. During the day we are in the mines and dig for gold, so you will be alone. Beware of the queen and let no one into the house."

Link back to 'connection' guide:
    http://www.chatouat.com/t188-fairytale-grimm-connection-guide

Last edited by Ranna156 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:27 am; edited 2 times in total
    Share this post on: reddit

Ranna156

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:22 am by Ranna156

that is very interesting...i think he goes more into the whys somewhere...i need to look at the book again...but it will be a while before i get back to it. Wink

fascinating stuff btw!
    cuddlyasatiger

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:16 am by cuddlyasatiger

That is why I never much liked Snow White. She looks like a sissy in the Disney version, and she agrees to do all this housework for SEVEN guys... No way.

However, Once's portrayal of Snow has made me re-evaluate her. But I'll have to get back to you on that.

It's interesting the Huntsman appears in 1812. I wonder if the cult of domesticity was starting that early? Could explain why the mother wasn't killing the child herself. Could also be that Europe had gotten so populated by then that, unless you were already in a rural place, just abandoning someone in the woods was not an effective means of ridding yourself of them anymore.
    Ranna156

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:08 am by Ranna156

Hmm...well well mr huntsman wasn't even in the original and it also appears she went from having to cook for the dwarfs to being a virtual slave! No wonder she drank the potion...she couldn't concentrate on all that work she had to do! haha

Post  by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am